Tuesday, December 11, 2012

PVC Bow and Arrow DIY

And the last of my DIY Christmas Gift Palooza... For the older kids PVC bow and wooden dowel arrow set.
You will need:
*Nylon string.. Home Depot
*1/2" PVC... Home Depot
* 2, 1/2" PVC caps... Home Depot
* PVC Cement Glue
* Duct tape in any color you like, I chose hot pink and camo...
Arrows:
*wooden dowels... Home Depot
* Felt for the arrow head... Michaels or craft store...
* Hot glue gun...
I found a tutorial here... I cut the PVC at 40"... You can make 3 bows from one PVC pipe... Then I held the PVC while Drew made a slit on each end of the pipe 7/8" deep with his skillsaw.... Talk about bringing a gun to a knife fight... Make sure the cut is facing the same direction in each end so the string lines up.

Then I took the nylon string and make a large knot. Melt the end with a lighter to avoid unraveling... Slip the string though the slits then measure the string and cut it 4" short of the PVC... Around 36".... Tie another knot and melt... Bend the bow and slip it through the other slits... The curve will be really drastic and the line extremely tight... It will relax over time...

I cement glued the end caps to the ends...

Then I wrapped with duct tale to add color and flair...

Then I took two sheets of felt and ran them through the sewing machine and stitched several triangles leaving the bottom open.

I cut the dowels around 15"... Trimmed out the triangle... Put hot glue into the triangle and shoved the dowel in.

I put squares of duct tape on the other end of the arrow and then made cuts to make it look like feathers...

And ta-da! Another cheap unique gift!

2 comments:

  1. can i enter a give-away??? like RIGHT NOW!!! and I'll also enter a give-away for your two frames and the tent and the lava candle from anthropologie... please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog. Its simply superb. useful for Column Pipe Manufacturers Thanks for sharing

    CPVC Pipes & Fittings Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete