Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Chalkboard DIY

Since everybody has a chalkboard... I needed a chalkboard... And yes if everyone was jumping off a bridge I would too.... Do anything in high school to make friends.... That's what I live by... Just kidding stole that from Drew's cousin... N.E.Way....

I was inspired by Dana Tanamachi... Have you seen her chalk art? Blew my mind....

Check it out (via)....

 

 

So I took an old window that Drew got from this house... We want to deconstruct houses and reuse as much as possible instead of just demo and fill landfills. I taped the frame and edges...

Sanded the glass with 120 grit sandpaper... I was worried about creating divets in the glass that would show through the paint... I should not have been worried... Then I sprayed Rust-oleums Painters touch primer. It can bond to plastic, metal etc. it's awesome.

I only used about half a can...

And did two coats... Always better to do more light coats as opposed to less heavy coats...
Then I used Rustoleum's chalkboard spray... I used the spray because it was cheap and less clean up.
 

I think I did 3 coats of chalkboard paint...

I brought it in to dry faster, it was a cold day...

When the paint was dry (admittedly I should have waited longer... What's new?) but I took the flat end of a piece of chalk and seasoned the board... This helps prevent previous drawing lines from showing through. If you don't season it you will always see the first thing you wrote.

Then I wiped it off with a wet rag..

And got to work.... I saw a tip online about sharpening the chalk to help with line thickness when writing and drawing.

Brilliant!

Then I played around with a quote I found online that I love!

I moved on quickly to a holiday themed board... I'm a chalkboard addict!

(via)

This might be my board next week! Love it!

 

...continue on this little journey>>>>

 

1 comment: