Monday, March 15, 2010

A Mountain of a Man

Some of my favorite remarks from my grandpa's funeral.
As I have said before, my grandpa was left at an orphanage with his little brother, and older sister. They were both in attendance at his funeral. My dad spoke to them in a portion of his talk. His words to them were, "He would also want me to express his love for his older sister Elizabeth, and his little brother Bill for literally and figuratively holding his hands through the traumatic experience of entering the orphanage. In his eye, he sees the logo for Boys Town, the famous orphanage in Nebraska. This iconic logo is of the two boys... one on the other's back. I am certain that he feels that you, Elizabeth and Bill, carried him during these tough years, and he could feel you repeat the caption underneath the Boys Town logo that reads: "He ain't heavy. He's my brother."

One of the few American businessmen who came out of Russia with more money then he took in.
He was tender with the down-trodden but a tough negotiator.
He was a leader of people, and yet a little boy in his anxieties and worries. Dad

My aunt Kristen said that my grandpa would always repeat "Loving you is a wonderful way to spend a lifetime."

My aunt Audree talked about how she used to get teased because whenever her friends saw her parents my Grandma was always almost sitting in Grandpa's lap as they drove in the car, they would kiss too long, and held hands everywhere.

My aunt Linda said a quote that always reminded her of her dad was;
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Thomas Paine

Service to your country is the rent you pay, for the space you take. Aunt Linda

Irreverent to authority, except for God.
Ever a disciple, ever a father, ever a friend.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to fix it?
Two wrongs are just the beginning. Uncle Lowry

My uncle Dave talked about how my grandpa went back to school with 4 children and a 5th on the way. He worked 2-3 jobs at a time so that he could go to school with no financial aid or loan. He earned his Chemical engineering degree top of his class. He never used his early life experience of rejection as an excuse.
He was big in stature, big in confidence, and big in compassion.
Favorite lesson that he learned from my grandpa was that "the sale begins when the customer says no."
Don't judge the day until the sun has set. Uncle Dave

All of the children talked about the nicknames my grandpa had for my grandma, my favorites were; Little Napoleon, Little General, Senior Companion, Liahona, Still Small Voice.

Thank you grandpa for all you did! Because of you I have learned that we "Can do hard things." And we will "Be good, and Do good," for you.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like an amazing man! how lucky you are to be part of his family and too look to his example lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, the only thing I have to say is that I really feel like I missed out. I wish I could have known him. What a great legacy he's left. Love you.

    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay: it was wonderful to see you! Thanks so much for these darling tributes to grandpa. What an amazing man, whan an amazing family!

    Much love, Emily

    ReplyDelete