Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Solution...

I have been perplexed how to store our dog food. Now that we are hoarding animals in an 800 sq/ft apartment... And have one dog on adult and two on puppy... Storing two 40 lb bags, in am aesthetically pleasing manner is not easy.... Then I thought about a file cabinet... Started looking online for sizes, uses etc... And found this picture! Perfect! Then I went thrifting.... And found this beauty... File cabinets new are pretty pricey... So this one at $15 was quite a steal... The guy who came out to help me said, "oh this was on sale yesterday, I'll give it to you for $1...." Even after two others told him he couldn't he walked up to the front with me and insisted the sell it for $1.00! Awesome...

So I drove home (aka picked up a 32 ouncer of DC...) Threw some Dog bones to the animals, dusted off this can of rust-oleum white enamel spray paint I've had hanging around... Who knows what unfinished project it was originally for? Whatevs!

So I sanded with my sponge sander. My favorite way to sand...

 

Sprayed into the wind.... Awesome.... Once I start something, I can't be bothered by a little wind...

Drewpy got home and measured and cut some butcher block we had extra from our countertops... So far I'm still only out $1.00 on this project... And my soul after Drewpy stole it with this picture I took below.... Don't!

This is what I get when I ask Drew to smile like he loves projects.... He must really like them.... Hide yo kids, hide yo wives and hide yo husbands.....

Then I graduated from helper to worker when Drew let me touch one of his tools, and I routed the edges of the butcher block to give it a pretty profile.

Then easy-peasy... I did four globs (and a heart in the middle for good measure) of silicone onto the file cabinet... Pressed the butcher block on and let it sit....

 

Pretty routed profile....

The next day Drewpy brought out his sexy legs to play... And screwed on a sheet of melamine, with some self tapping metal screws.... That you guessed it we had left over.... This melamine gave the file cabinet more sturdiness and a place to screw the casters on...

I wanted fun casters but Home Depot was slim pickins...

 

Casters on, flip her over, and voila!

Puppy food on bottom, adult on top with extra room for waste bags, collars, leashes etc! Ahhhh-MAH-zing....

And when I need it... It's extra prep space can be wheeled out like an island....

Please only take notice of the file cabinet island, not the patched walls, cluttered counter, or dusty floors.... Just the file cabinet.... Nothing else to see here! What do you think?...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment