Wednesday, March 6, 2013

On the Nightstand

I finished this book, The Fault in Our Stars a few weeks ago... Seeing the cover reminds me of snow... I like when sounds, smells or sights trigger a distinct memory... I again chose the book by its cover... But what really swung my vote was that it was written from the point of view of a strong willed intelligent teenage girl.... Sure I loved the Gossip Girl books.... Way too much... It's just refreshing to have a little intelligence thrown in there... Surprisingly I really really enjoyed this book... I say surprisingly because I usually ward of books with the possibility of it being depressing... This felt breathtakingly honest... It wasn't written by a cancer survivor so I can't say anything for the reality... But the words were moving...
Here are some of my favorite quotes:

 

“I'm in love with you," he said quietly.


"Augustus," I said.


"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

 

“I've gotten really hot since you went blind.”


“Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon.”


“The marks humans leave are too often scars.”



“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.”



“The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we'd done were less real and important than they had been hours before.”


 


“I was blind and heart broken and didn't want to do anything and Gus burst into my room and shouted, "I have wonderful news!" And I was like, "I don't really want to hear wonderful news right now," and Gus said, "This is wonderful news you want to hear," and I asked him, "Fine, what is it?" and he said, "You are going to live a good and long life filled with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!”

John Green, The Fault in Our Stars





 

No comments:

Post a Comment